Exam day! It is a stressful day even when you have planned everything. So imagine how you’d feel if you forgot your stationery or had the wrong calculator!
Calculators are one’s best friends because without them, you wouldn’t be able to sit through Exam P and FM. The questions cannot be solved manually in the given time frame and attempting to do so could land you into trouble. So, choosing a good approved calculator will help you very, very much in the exam. After all, that’s why they allow calculators in the first place!
Things to remember about calculators
For Exam P and FM, there are only a few Texas Instruments calculators that the board has approved. No other calculator besides one/two of these will be allowed.
Always carry an additional calculator with you. They allow 2-3 calculators and you can take advantage of this rule. This way, you can assign separate calculators for separate functions. Also, in the event that one does not work, the other can come to your rescue.
The authorities will not provide a replacement calculator if yours stops working or if it is not an approved device.
So, it’s always better to be safe than sorry!
Best Calculator For Exam P and FM
Following are the different calculators you can take to the exam hall. Please note that they are all from the approved list of calculators but we invite you to crosscheck anyway to be absolutely sure.
1. Texas Instruments TI-30X IIS Scientific Calculator – Blue
The Texas Instruments TI-30X IIS is often considered the best you can find. Its biggest takeaway is that it is a 2-line calculator, giving you a lot of room for calculations. Below are a few more details:
- It shows entry as well as the result.
- It is a battery-operated calculator with 1 lithium metal battery.
- You can go back to previous entries and edit them if needed.
- The dual powered calculator comes in handy for fractions, statistics, etc.
- It has a protective cover that keeps it safe and prolongs its life.
2. Texas Instruments TI-30Xa Scientific Calculator
This is another battery-powered calculator from Texas Instruments. It can display 10 digits at a time in one line. Its features are as follows:
- The calculator comes with a slide case for safe keeping and durability.
- You can work with fractions in the traditional format (numerator and denominator).
- The calculator has the ability to perform trigonometric functions, factorials, reciprocals, powers, roots, logarithms, etc. You can also use it for polar conversions.
- The 1-variable statistics come with standard deviation and mean results.
- This calculator is suitable for general science, general math, pre-algebra, algebra 1, and algebra 2.
3. Texas Instruments BA35 Solar Calculator
The BA35 Solar Calculator has been designed specifically for accounting and financial functions. Below are a few things you should know about it:
- It is a solar-powered calculator.
- It has a protective slide case that keeps it safe during traphone avyo hatonsport.
- You can use it for pretty much all accounting and financial calculations such as conversions from annual percentage to effective rate.
- It has pre-programmed financial functions.
- One-variable statistics are easy to calculate including cost-sell margin, population standard deviation, sample standard deviation, percentage change, natural logs, universal powers, etc.
4. Texas Instruments BA II Plus Professional Financial Calculator
This model is suitable for business, finance, accounting, investments, real estate, statistics, economics, and more. Its features are quite interesting. Let’s go through them:
- It can easily solve time-value-of-money calculations including savings, leases, mortgages, etc.
- Cash flow analysis is also quite easy on this calculator. You can solve up to 32 uneven cash flows with 4 or fewer frequencies.
- It has multiple financial functions including net future value, rate of return, discounted payback, net present value, etc.
- The calculator comes with a very useful Automatic Power Down function that saves battery.
- In this calculator you will see promoted displays that will help you through your financial calculations.
5. Texas Instruments TI-30XS Multi-view Scientific Calculator
Sleek, well-designed, and functional, the Texas Instruments TI-30XS is an excellent calculator. It has quite a few unique features that you will fall in love with. Let’s explore some of them:
- You can enter 2 or more calculations together to compare and analyze results.
- It has a particular math notion that you can use for common functions such as exponents, stacked fractions, exact square roots, etc.
- The toggle key will help you navigate through your calculations, decimals, and fractions.
- It also allows you to scroll through previous entries and find patterns for your calculations.
- It is approved to use in Exam P, FM, ACT, SAT, etc.
- It allows 23 levels of parentheses.
If we had to choose one or two of the calculators mentioned above, we would go with Texas Instruments TI-30XS and TI-30X IIS. They are both incredibly powerful and can make calculations very easy for you. The others are good as well and the final decision should be based on what you are looking for in a calculator. You can always get in touch with us for additional help and feedback.